Well it is the new year and one of the top New Year’s resolutions is to lose weight. I thought I would review the popular diets and came across the DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stopping Hypertension). U.S. News rated DASH as the top diet giving it 4.1 out of 5 stars. It was interesting to me when I read the review and noticed that more than 76% of the people that responded indicated that this diet was not effective in helping them to lose weight. Why is that?
Losing weight is hard! Maintaining weight loss is even harder!!
I am 18 months into my fitness journey and I’m down a total of 100 lbs and have maintained that weight loss for 6 months now!
There are have been 6 things that have been key to my weight loss.
- Adopting the right attitude before starting. I have attempted weight loss a number of times and have lost lots of weight, but I have never been successful at keeping it off. This time had to be different because my doctor said “if you don’t make some serious changes you won’t be there for your family!” Hearing those words provided the incentive I needed to make a life change. A life change is required for permanent weight loss.
- Proper Nutrition. I adopted a healthy eating plan of well balanced nutrition which is high on fruits, vegetables, nuts,whole grains, lean protein, low fat dairy, and no processed foods. To ensure a high metabolism and avoiding hunger, I eat 6 times per day – 3 meals and 3 snacks. To ensure that I have the most nutrient dense foods with lowest calorie content, I have included Shakeology as a key component of my nutrition plan. Shakeology serves as my after workout recovery drink as well as my daily supplements.
- Daily Exercise. I incorporated daily exercise that was appropriate for my current fitness level at the time. I started out by walking 3-4 miles a day; 5 times per week. After that I progressed to Power90, then to P90X, and now to a P90X/Insanity hybrid. The key for me was to find something that I enjoyed, fit my schedule, and my ability at the time.
- Support Group. Having a support group for motivation, support, and accountability has been key to my success. Initially, I surrounded myself with the people that had successfully lost and maintained weight loss. Now, I host challenge groups so that I can help others to lose and maintain a healthy weight. In order to hold others accountable, I have to hold myself accountable.
- Allow yourself an indulgence. Throughout my lifestyle change, I have allowed myself weekly indulgences. I have found that if I tried to follow something that is too restrictive I could not maintain it because the feeling of being deprived will eventually cause me to have an indulgence. Then, the feeling of guilt will result in feeling like I have failed and stop the healthy eating completely. Plan the indulgence and enjoy it, then get back to the healthy eating!
- Don’t Stop. Once you find something that works for you don’t stop!
Whether you choose the DASH diet or any other program, I hope you find the keys to my success helpful. I have helped a number of people by using the principles above and would love to help you. Make me your free coach and let’s get started today in reaching your fitness goals!